Saturday, August 4, 2012

california - july 2012

The day after getting back from Idaho, my mom and I went to California for 5 days - boy, was it amazing!!!!

I'm definitely an East-Coaster, but if I had to live on the West Coast, it would be in Orange County, California. I am in love with it. Every time I go I say I'm going to stay forever - maybe someday I'll actually do it. I seriously cannot get enough of it - Newport Beach, Balboa, Fashion Island mall, Pinkberry, Los Angeles, Panera Bread, the piers, the ocean, the sand, the food...I feel so relaxed when I'm there (except when I'm driving in LA traffic - that is the complete opposite of relaxing).

We had an AWESOME time - I could've stayed for another week and been really happy, but I had to start work (I'm turning into such an adult!).

We left pretty early Thursday morning, and my mom drove most of the way to California (it's about a 6 hour drive). This is pretty unusual - I'm allllways the one to drive, but I had flown in late Wednesday night and was exhausted. She made it all the way to Palm Springs - I'm so proud of her!

The closer we go to the coast, we started to roll the windows down and the air felt amazing! Growing up 1 mile from the ocean in Maine, I used to be able to smell the ocean every morning, which is something I miss terribly about my hometown. California gives me a little of that, and I love waking up super early to get the best scent of the ocean :)

We immediately stopped for froyo and went to a Trader Joe's that's way nicer than ours in Mesa (California: 1, Arizona: 0).

I look really tired, but I really love my froyo!

The next day, we headed out early to the beach (with a stop at Bruegger's Bagels, of course!). We spent the entire day there, soaking up the sun, playing in the ocean, and eating at the yummiest restaurant on the pier. Also, we both got completely sunburnt - I'm STILL peeling, even though we went 2 weeks ago!!!!



We went to Fashion Island mall that night, where we browsed through the stores, ate dinner, and stopped at the cutest little cupcake place! It was completely pink and girly. Seriously, it was adorable!!!



On Saturday, we headed up to Los Angeles. I've wanted to go to the Getty Center for a long time, so that was our first stop. I had NO idea we'd be there for 5 hours, but we had a great time! The museum is separated into several buildings, with gorgeous architecture, beautiful gardens, and a pretty stellar collection of artwork. We spent hours wandering through the whole place - it is massive! And on top of the amazing artwork, there were pretty spectacular views of the city.








Degas - I've loved this painting since taking AP Art History in high school

Van Gogh's "Irises" - absolutely amazing! The colors were so rich in this one.

I can't remember the name of this one, but it was HUGE and completely gilded.

After the Getty, we drove to the LA Farmer's Market & The Grove for some eating & shopping, and we were NOT disappointed!!! I'd never been over there, and I fell in love with it! The LA Farmer's Market had amazing food carts all inside this area that's almost invisible from the outside. My mom got some Italian food, while I went for the best crepes I have EVER had! Seriously, I still dream about them :) We also stopped for some yummy fudge, but were stuffed after dinner. I could go back there about 20 more times and still not eat everything I wanted to!

We drove by the LA Temple (by accident) on the way to the Farmer's Market (please excuse the glare from the car window :)

Crepes with strawberries, bananas, nutella, and whipped cream. O.M.G.

We loved this outdoor mall - great shopping, tons of people, and a really fun atmosphere - we'll definitely be going back.

 The little girl in me (and let's be honest, my 26-year old self, as well!) was giddy over this HUGE store! My mom practically had to drag me out, and I wasn't even embarrassed about taking this picture in front of the store. It was filled with dolls, accessories, outfits, and furniture - I could not believe my eyes! My doll, Samantha, has been "archived" but they had all my favorites, plus a bazillion dolls that you can get to look just like you! (Okay, I know that's enough about the dolls - I was just SO EXCITED! I need to have a baby girl!!!!)

 We spent Sunday at the beach, and then drove to Palm Springs to go shopping at those fabulous outlet stores. Neither one of us found a ton of things - I got a new top at Banana Republic & a wallet at Nine West, while my mom got two pairs of shoes at Nine West (we really miss that outlet store here in AZ!).

 That's me - the red dot in the ocean. Luckily it was cloudy that day - my sunburn was killing me!!!! I love splashing in the waves - I'm just meant to live by the ocean,

 Thanks, Mom, for a fabulous trip! I fell even more in love with southern California, and had a great time! I'm already planning a trip back during Fall break :)

xoxo, Neelam

No comments:

Post a Comment