Tuesday, May 29, 2012

memorial day + grandpa

I had a great Memorial Day weekend!

It was filled with all the ingredients for a fabulous, relaxing, kick-off-the-summer weekend - sleeping in, making delicious food, relaxing by the pool, going for walks, reading, sale-shopping, BBQing, game nights with friends, a pool party, plus a teeny bit of cleaning/organization.

I also got to spend some time thinking about my family members who have passed away, especially those who served in the military.

My grandpa was the first person that came to my mind.

He was born in 1920, and was about 21 when the US got involved in WWII. He, along with his 2 younger brothers (one of whom wasn't even old enough to enlist yet, but he was causing trouble so his mom made him!), were sent off to the war, all over the world. My grandpa was mainly stationed in Alaska, where they thought the US would be attacked (turns out it was Hawaii instead). Like most men his age, he wouldn't talk about his experiences during the war, but I love to look at pictures from his military time. I thank him, my other family members, friends, and everyone who serves in the military so that I can enjoy such wonderful freedom.

Along with thoughts, I looked through pictures...I love doing that! I couldn't find one of my favorites of him, in his military gear, standing in front of a plane - it's probably in a box somewhere. Oh, well. Here are a few of my grandpa below:

 #11 - Hoxie High School football team

 He definitely loved the outdoors, and went hunting and fishing every chance he could get

 He may have been a southern boy at heart, but he loved the Red Sox and spending time on the ocean

 Yes, he let me "drive" the tractor, and yes, I had a mullet.

He was the best cook - and he served lobster as much as possible.

My favorite picture from my grandparents' wedding day that hangs in my home.

xoxo, Neelam

P.S. I had to ditch the Friends-inspired titles. It was too tough! I don't know how David Crane & Marta Kauffman did it for all those years :)

3 comments:

  1. Your grandfather was a fine man. And my uncle. I am proud to share his blood. And yours.

    My last memory of him is from the late 1980s, when he and your grandmother visited our rural North Carolina property, while my wife and I were building our small house. They arrived as I was in the midst of framing in some of the interior walls. Before leaving, your grandfather asked if he could help. Your grandmother nodded to me, as if to say 'please roll with this'. I handed him a hammer and a couple of nails, as I was not finished nailing down the plate of an interior wall. He knelt, drove in the remaining two nails and looked up at me, raising his left hand in a thumbs-up movement that was totally reminiscent of his late brother - my father. The hair stood up on my neck as I took back the hammer.

    He was a good man.

    I may have a copy of that photo you're looking for.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind message, Bruce! Everyone always said that the resemblance between Uncle Jim & Alex was uncanny-I'm sad I never got to meet him.

      I would love it if you had the picture! We have so many boxes in storage that need to be sorted through! And your dad was also in my thoughts this Memorial Day-he seemed like a great guy, and definitely gave his all to support our country!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your kind message, Bruce! Everyone always said that the resemblance between Uncle Jim & Alex was uncanny-I'm sad I never got to meet him.

      I would love it if you had the picture! We have so many boxes in storage that need to be sorted through! And your dad was also in my thoughts this Memorial Day-he seemed like a great guy, and definitely gave his all to support our country!

      Delete